Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Maria Dismondy Book Review

As previously mentioned, I was blessed with the opportunity to attend a blogger retreat at French Lick with some AMAZING fellow teachers.   In a different post, I gushed about the terrific opportunities to connect with my other educators, but the blessings didn't stop once the retreat came to a close.  In our swag bag, we were given the opportunity to receive a book from award-winning author Maria Dismondy.  As a kindergarten teacher, I am constantly searching for books that teach social skills to my kinderkids.  Maria's books are perfect for reaching my students!  I was beyond excited when I learned I could receive a book from her to review!


Chocolate Milk, Por Favor! is a well-written book about a special little boy named Gabe, an ELL student on his first day at an English-speaking school.  A little boy named Johnny sees him crying the first day of school, and quickly dismisses him as a "crybaby". Throughout the book, students take the journey with Johnny and Gabe to learn that new things can be difficult and terrifying, but very rewarding when they are accomplished.  Most importantly, they learn to treat others kindly and get to know others.  Everyone has something special to offer.  This book has a beautiful, happy ending.  My students loved it!  I'm sure yours will too!  We are already looking for other Maria Dismondy books to add to our classroom library!



I encourage you to check out her website at http://mariadismondy.com!  You won't be disappointed!

Do you have a favorite Maria Dismondy book?  I'd love to hear about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment